Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Odds & The Internet

1 in 100,000. Those are the odds of a baby being born with IS (Infantile Spasms). I think about that number all the time. One in ONE...HUNDRED...THOUSAND. To put that into perspective, Seahawk stadium holds 67,000. The city of Pullman, WA (Go Cougs!) has population approx. 30,000. Swedish Hospital in Seattle delivers approx. 8,000 babies every year. --- And our sweet baby sister has it (IS). It baffles me.

If you've looked up IS online, you've no doubt come across some scary stuff. In a nut shell IS is an uncommon form of epilepsy. In Sydnee's case, it is a side effect of her having FCD (focal cortical dysplasia). The neuro team at Children's Hospital told me that on a scale of good to bad, her cause of IS is on the good side of that scale.

I try really hard to stay off the Internet. It has helped me, but also has also lead me to dark thoughts and I'm trying to steer clear of those. What I have decided is no case is the same because none of us are the same. There is only one Sydnee. I have decided to let her guide me going forward and no one else.

AND...she has the following bonuses...

1. She is MY daughter. For those of you that know me, I am not one to back down. In fact, in most cases, I'm the first to stand up. She has already proven to be one tough girl.
2. She has already responded to the medicine. I read some sad cases where some children did not. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.
3. As a family we will do everything to help her have the best life she can. Her dad is in the other room doing physical therapy with her as I type. He does this at least twice a day with her.
4. She has love coming to her from around the world.
5. Her brother thinks he is Batman and he will protect her against all odds.


We're ready for whatever comes our way! Happy Halloween!

Sweet Baby Sister

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda,
    Thank you for sharing your story. We are thinking of Sydnee and are sure with all the love she has from you and Tyler and Sam she will be just fine! Especially if she is as tough as you.
    Jacqueline & Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me cry. Can't wait to watch them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete